Our previous blog covered ‘What is Wellness’, its importance, and three dimensions of wellness. In this second part blog, we’ll cover the five other dimensions of wellness and how you can achieve them.
What Is Social Wellness?
Social wellness is the ability to interact positively with everyone, including friends, family, teachers, coaches, superiors, and even strangers. A key component of social wellness is being proactive in reaching out to people when we need something, as well as being there to listen and offer assistance when others need it.
Why is Social Wellness Important?
Your mental, physical, and emotional health are shaped by your relationships with others and the people in your community. Prioritizing social wellness is important if you want to approach your overall health and well-being holistically.
What does Social Wellness do to you?
- Boosts your overall mental health
- Reduces emotions of loneliness and encourages healthy connections
- You start to feel good about yourself if you have people who care about you.
How to improve your Social Wellness?
- Practice self-care - This is of the most overlooked aspects of most people’s lives. Everyone is so busy doing their daily chores and exhausting their energies for others, i.e their partner, children, friends & family, and colleagues, that they forget to make time for themselves. Love yourself first and make time to look after your body and mind because you deserve it! Self-care includes taking care of your well-being by focusing on your physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual health.
- Make connections with good people: Be around people who are good for your well-being. Ones that can help you if you need their support, the ones that love and care for you.
- Improve your communication skills - You improve your chances of being a better leader, partner, employee, parent, and friend by developing your communication skills. Make an effort to listen actively, have a good posture, maintain eye contact, and communicate effectively so that you are heard and understood.
- Have healthy habits and routines – Being healthy will lift your mood and allow you to have a positive influence on others around you.
What Is Intellectual Wellness?
Intellectual well-being encourages you to look for methods to increase your knowledge and skills while also recognizing your creative ability. Intellectual well-being is influenced by the desire to pursue lifelong learning and the drive to acquire new knowledge, skills, and challenges.
Why is Intellectual wellness important?
- Encourages learning – In order to develop more mindfulness and a broader perspective, it is crucial to investigate new concepts and understandings.
- Simulates curiosity - Being curious encourages you to try new things and helps you to understand how you view the interactions among yourself, other people, and the environment.
How to improve Intellectual wellness?
- Read Books: Try to set some leisurely reading time in the morning, at night, or on the weekends. Reading, especially the ones you enjoy, can boost your intelligence by compelling you to consider ideas you wouldn't typically consider!
- Journal: Taking the time to jot down your thoughts can help you if you struggle with expressing your feelings or in general are trying to make sense of what you are feeling inside. Allowing your mind to engage in deeper thought and understanding yourself and your actions more deeply improves your intellectual wellness.
- Travel: When you travel, you can immerse yourself in diverse cultures and meet individuals who are very different from you. You start to respect and care about people from around the world. Whether you're engaging in conversation with a stranger, trying food you've never tried before, learning a new language, or listening to music with instruments you've never heard. This feeling of connection makes it simpler for you to put yourself in someone else's shoes and view life in a new way.
- Playing games and instruments: These are some ways to enhance your intellectual well-being as you get to explore your creative side which involves more thinking and learning a new skill.
What Is Occupational Wellness?
The capacity to strike a balance between work and leisure in a way that supports health, and a sense of personal satisfaction, and is financially gratifying is known as occupational wellness.
Why is Occupational Wellness Important
Humans spend about one-third of their lives at work, which is why it is crucial for you to love what you do and take care of your well-being at your workplace.
The thing that takes up more hours of your life than any other (with sleeping being the one possible exception, depending on how much rest you need for your own optimal sleep) is work. If you don't feel a sense of fulfillment and validation at your workplace, you're going to feel less overall happiness in life. It will also affect the happiness of everyone in your life, not just you.
How to improve your Occupational wellness?
- Set your career goals and devise a plan to achieve them.
- Take every task as an exciting challenge so that you can enjoy working.
- Make connections with your colleagues
- Don’t over-exert yourself at work
- Keep learning new skills to advance your career.
What Is Financial Wellness?
The U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau explains financial wellness as “a condition wherein a person can fully meet current and ongoing financial obligations, can feel secure in their financial future, and is able to make choices that allow them to enjoy life.”
Simply defined, financial wellness means being financially healthy wherein you don't feel anxious about your financial condition since you feel capable of handling it. Handling any financial crisis in the future, being in control of paying off debt , and being aware of what money is coming in and going out is financial wellness.
- Start by examining the following factors to determine your financial well-being:
- Are you equipped to handle a crisis?
- What is your view on money?
- How do you feel when you discuss money?
- Do you have both current and long-term financial objectives?
- You're on a budget, right? Do you maintain it?
- What are your plans for retiring?
Why is Financial Wellness Important?
Money is very crucial, you know that! Financial stability brings you a sense of financial security and freedom.
It implies that you won’t have to be concerned about an emergency, job loss, or career shift that could have an immediate negative influence on your income. Less stress, more quality time with loved ones, and a career with greater meaning and purpose could all result from this.
How to become financially stable?
- Create a budget plan: By doing this you will be better equipped to make better choices on where you are spending your money.
- Debt Management – Reduce and eliminate your debts as soon as possible to be financially healthy.
- Have an emergency fund: Financial professionals advise people to save three months' worth of expenses. They advise saving six months' worth of living expenditures as part of an emergency fund for families.
- Savings - The sooner you begin saving, the better.Even though they seem too long in the future to consider now, it's crucial to take your long-term goals into account. It's advised to set aside between 10% and 15% of your gross income for retirement.
- Give back to society - According to research, helping society has many advantages for one's mental health. Donate to causes that are important to you if you can.
What Is Environmental Wellness?
Environmental wellness is a practice that involves being knowledgeable about and actively supporting environmental health. This includes adopting a sustainable lifestyle, protecting natural resources, and getting rid of pollution and unwanted trash.
What Habits Can You Adopt to be Environmentally Stable?
- When possible, take a walk or a bike ride.
- When possible, take a walk or a bike ride.
- Reduce waste and recycle
- Utilize energy-efficient lightbulbs and appliances to conserve energy.
- Conserve water When shaving, doing your makeup, or washing dishes, turn off the water.
- Use reusable water bottles, coffee cups, and lunch containers.
- Turn off electronics, unplug them, and reduce the heat at home, school, and work.
Why is Environmental wellness important?
There are several reasons why environmental wellness is vital. First, it enables us to safeguard the land.
Secondly, environmental well-being is crucial because it protects natural resources. Many natural resources are scarce already. We must keep this in mind as we work, live, eat, and have fun.
And finally, environmental health is crucial as it allows us to live in safe surroundings. Since we only have one earth, you do your share to preserve it and the natural world around you. Being mindful of this as you go about your daily activities is a wonderful approach to embracing environmental well-being.
Now that you have read this article, are you willing to start your journey toward better wellness? We hope your response is YES .
Please feel free to leave a comment below or contact us if you have any questions. For more advice on how to live your life, sign up for our newsletter too.